A kitchen can be the busiest yet the messiest area of a house, especially if you live with food lovers. A dirty kitchen can definitely influence your mood in a bad way. Especially, when you are just out of bed in the morning for a hot cup of coffee, but you instantly postpone the idea because of the scattered kitchen view. Not only this, your efficiency of working in the kitchen is also affected because of the piles of dirty dishes, dripping shelves, greasy stove and the list goes on.
A part from necessity, there are so many benefits of keeping your cooking area tidy. Good news is that; you can make it possible just by adding some simple steps to your daily cleaning routine. Hence, less mess and faster clean-up.
Few Tricks and Tips For a Healthy and Clean Kitchen
Do you know a dirty cooking area can lead to several health hazards? However, you can save yourself and your family from getting sick just by following these tips and tricks. Read on.
1. Wipe Spills Instantly
It is always a good idea to wipe away the spills immediately with the help of a kitchen cloth/towel else it can turn in to a sticky mess. Always keep paper towels or dusters in your reach, so you can instantly grab them whenever needed.
For a greasy stain, you can wipe it with a paper towel or use a cloth dipped in hot soapy water for clean up.
- Takes less energy to clean because spills can become harder, stickier and difficult to clean with time.
- Prevents uninvited guests as pests like flies and cockroaches would love to visit your kitchen and feed on the spills.
2. Cleaning After Meals
Are you someone who hates doing dishes? If yes, then you should avoid piling up dirty dishes because it will consume more energy and time. Instead, develop the habit of cleaning up after every meal. This will instantly take the burden off your shoulders, and you can prepare for the next meal in peace. Cleaning after meals include doing dishes, wiping counters and clearing table.
Leftover food particles can become hard and would require more energy to go away. They can also leave strains on your crockery.
- Once your kitchen is all tidy, you can prepare your next meal efficiently without stressing about the work load afterwards.
3. Clear Your Countertops
Messy counters can be extremely frustrating while working in the kitchen. Besides, they can be hazardous as well. If you stack pots, knives and dishes on the counters, then they can topple over and accidents can happen. It is a great idea to clear the area from time to time or just before you start cooking. Don’t forget to wipe shelves after clearing off with a help of kitchen cleaner spray/liquid. Moreover, avoid displaying appliances on the counters, and store them in cabinets instead.
- For small kitchens, piles of dishes or other stuff will make it look even smaller. Plus, you will be left with an insufficient working area to function.
- A crowded kitchen is a house of bacteria and pests. Therefore, keep your cooking area summed up, clean and hygienic.
4. Scrub Sink Regularly
Do you know a kitchen sink may have more germs than a waste bin? Ewe! Washing sink is as important as doing dishes for maintaining a healthy kitchen environment. However, you don’t have to go through lengthy and difficult steps for that. Just scrub the outer surface with hot soapy water and later use a kitchen cleaner for any leftover strains. For deep cleaning, you can use diluted bleach mixture to wipe the surface. Do this once a week or more frequently, depending on the usage of your kitchen.
How to make diluted bleach mixture?
- Take 4 cups of water, add one tablespoon of bleach in it. The solution is ready!
- If you have a garbage disposal at home then you need to clean it at least once every week. All you require to do is, switch off the disposal and put one tablespoon of backing soda, six ice cubes, 3 lemon slices and a teaspoon of bleach. Add six ice cubes more before turning on the disposal. Don’t add water as ice cubes are there to do the job. The disposal will start grinding, and once it stops, put on running water for 30 seconds.
5. Disinfect Kitchen dusters/Scrubs Everyday
Kitchen dusters or scrubs need your attention too on a daily basis. Upon neglecting, they won’t only smell bad but will also grow thousands of harmful bacteria. It is ideal to change the towels and scrubs everyday, but if it is not possible for you, then boil them in pot for at least 5 minutes to disinfect every day.
You can also use a microwave for a speedy cleaning process. Just put wet sponges in the oven and put the timer on for 1 minute. Note that your sponges can really burn if the intensity of your microwave is high. In this case, set low timer or keep the sponge in water and then microwave it.
6. Take Trash Out Regularly
Another tip for a healthier kitchen is to empty the trash bin before all the stuff inside starts stinking. It will make the whole kitchen environment unpleasant. Also, if you let the trash stay in bin for longer then your bin will also start stinking, and eventually it will become harder for you to clean after.
- Make sure to take trash out everyday no matter if your bin is half filled.
- Get a trash bin with a lid so you don’t get to see filth while cooking.
- Food in the trash can rot and grow fruit flies or maggots. Therefore, scrub the inner surface from time to time while wearing gloves.
- Use disinfectant spray after emptying the bin
7. Don’t Neglect Your Fridge
A fridge is an important part of the cookery, and it deserves to be taken care! On a weekly basis, remove all the stored food and discard the expired one. Wipe all the shelves of the fridge with warm soapy water. Place everything back. Repeat the same procedure for cleaning your freezers.
If your cooling machine smells bad even after cleaning, then keep a box of baking soda without lid in your fridge. It will deodorize. Moreover, keeping fridge clean will help your food stay fresh for a longer period.
Kitchen maintenance won’t seem like an impossible chore if you follow all the above-mentioned tips religiously. The key is to set a routine and timings to make everything easier. Also, if you are living with other members of the family, then seek their help. It will definitely lessen your burden. A few minutes spent on cleaning daily can save your time, efforts and energy.
The most important thing is to stay calm and don’t panic if you can’t manage a perfectly clean cookery every day. There are days when you don’t feel like doing it, ask for help! Moreover, you can always deep clean later.